Next time you’re looking for somewhere to have breakfast in Vancouver, skip right past the Denny’s. Do yourself, and the rest of us, a favour by supporting one of the many great independent breakfast spots here in our city.
There are too many great breakfast spots to list, but here is a small list of some of my favourites:
- Hamburger Mary’s – a West End institution. This great dinner is also open for lunch and dinner, but breakfast is where it shines brightest. A diverse selection of egg scrambles (which are overbaked with cheese) highlight the menu. Hamburger Mary’s serves a limited breakfast menu all day – so go ahead and sleep in.
- Jethro’s Fine Grub – You’re going to have to wait for a table at this tiny diner on Dunbar, but it will be worth it. They make a pancake with bacon cooked into it. Need I say more?
- Hillary’s Cafe – a great setting, excellent coffee and cheap prices make up for the fact the food isn’t as good as the other places on this list. Take a look at the artwork hanging on the walls (and decide if you want to buy any) while you enjoy your underpriced bacon and egg scramble breakfast.
- Westward Ho! at UBC Golf Course – Having lunch at a golf course may seem a bit opulent, but you won’t mind once you get your food. You will mind even less when you get your bill – you’ll be paying around the same as you would at Denny’s, but the food is actually good.
- DeDutch – I know, I always say ‘avoid chain restaurants’ and here I am recommending one (the exception that proves the rule?). But, DeDutch is such a great breakfast spot that I just couldn’t ignore it. Nearly everything gets served on top of a thin Dutch pannenkoeken ( pancake). The best choices are the one with a pannenkoeken topped with fruit and whipped cream.
There are also a couple of popular spots that don’t make the cut, as far as I’m concerned:
- Sophie’s Cosmic Café – It’s famous, it’s meant to be good, there’s a long line, but, I really wasn’t impressed. Yes, the decoration inside is interesting – but the food just wasn’t all that special. If you really like Mexican style food for breakfast (black beans, salsa, ect…), you might want to give it a try, but otherwise, it doesn’t live up to the hype.
- The Elbow Room Café – it wasn’t the service that I had a problem with – I liked the waitresses that hurled insults at guests as they served them. It’s all in good fun when your waitress asks, “yeah, what the hell do you want?” But the food, just doesn’t stand up, when compared to similar eateries. The selection appears good, but the dishes seem over flavoured and mass produced. Nothing tastes homemade and the prices are far too high for the quality.
Feel free to disagree! What did I get wrong? What did I miss? What are your favourite breakfast spots? Add your thoughts in the comments below!